Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cranberries - Not just for Thanksgiving


Last month, I professed my love of cranberries on my blog.  They have such a beautiful, vibrant red color that I decided to incorporate them into my Christmas menu as well.  I found this recipe for Cranberry Swirl Bread in a Taste of Home Holiday Baking magazine.  This was my first attempt at this recipe but I can tell already that it's going to be a keeper. 

Cranberry Swirl Loaf
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, cubed

Filling
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Topping
2 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons butter

In a mixer bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt.


In saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter.


Add to dry ingredients.  Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.  Knead.


Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.


For filling, combine cranberries, brown sugar and water in a saucepan.



Cook over medium heat  about 15 minutes or until berries pop.  Remove from heat, stir in butter, walnuts and lemon juice.

 

Punch down down.


Roll into a 20x10 inch rectangle.

 
Spread filling to within 1/2" from edges.


Roll up dough starting with a long side.


Place in a zigzag pattern in a greased loaf pan.


For topping: combine flour and sugar in a small bowl.

 
Cut in 1 Tablespoon butter with a pastry cutter.  Melt remaining butter and brush over loaf.  Sprinkle with topping.

 
Cover and let rise 40 minutes.



Bake 40 minutes at 350.



I served this swirl loaf to my family on Christmas morning.  It was a really nice addition to my brunch menu.   It was even better lightly toasted.  If you are looking for a delicious and beautiful bread to serve at your next brunch - give this one a try.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment